10 large tart apples
juice of 1 lemon
3/4 cup splenda
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoon allspice
3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
3/8 ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
2 tablespoons ground tapioca
3 teaspoons reduced calorie margarine
1 9-inch pie crust
1. Preheat the oven 325 degrees. Grease a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate and set aside.
2. Peel, core and quarter the apples. Slice the apples 1/8 inch thick and place them in a large bowl of water mixed with the lemon juice.
3. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, ginger, pepper, splenda, zest, ginger and tapioca. Divide into three parts.
4. Drain the apples and divide into thirds.
5. Place the first layer of apples in the baking dish, overlapping the apples if necessary.
6. Sprinkle 1/3 of the spice mixture evenly over the apples and top with 1 teaspoon margarine.
7. Repeat with a second and third layer.
8. Cover with the pie crust dough.
9. Crimp the edges with a fork dipped in milk, and cut three slits in the top.
10. Bake for 40 minutes, until golden brown on top.
11. Let pie cool to room temperature before slicing.