Fresh gungo peas, pigeon peas, or canned kidney beans
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium onion, nely chopped
1/2 cup low-fat unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon thyme 2 cups long grain rice
- Sauté onions in skillet with olive oil.
- Boil beans in a large saucepan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until beans become tender.
- Once beans have nished cooking, drain them. KEEP THE LIQUID.
- Make 2 cups of liquid using 1/2 cup coconut milk and water.
- In a separate saucepan, add beans, remaining liquid, onions, coconut milk and water, thyme, and rice.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 20-30 minutes or until rice is tender.
Add more water if needed.
Congratulations!!! You have made a Caribbean favorite!!!
Alternative ways of preparation
Add salt and pepper to taste
Add chopped hot peppers
Use pre-cooked beans to reduce cooking time