1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 minced onion
1/2 green or red bell pepper, chopped ne
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
1 1/4 lbs lean ground beef
3/4 lb ground pork
1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup tomato-based barbeque sauce 3 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Milk, as needed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt the butter in a heavy skillet. Add the onion, bell pepper and garlic, and sauté until they are softened.
3. Stir in the black pepper, cayenne, salt and cumin, and sauté for an additional 2 or 3 minutes.
4. Spoon the vegetable mixture into a large bowl.
5. Add to the bowl the remaining ingredients, except the milk, and mix well with your hands. The meat should feel quite moist but not soupy. If it’s too dry, add a tablespoon or two of milk at a time until the consistency is right.
6. Mound the meat into a 9” x 5” loaf pan. Bake the meat, uncovered for 40 minutes. Raise the oven temperature to 400 degrees and continue baking another 20 to 30 minutes. If you wish, brush with an additional tablespoon or two of barbeque sauce in the last 10 minutes. 7. Serve the meat hot or cold. The meat loaf makes great leftovers and sandwiches.